The annals of the cakchiquels. Vocabulary, 209. by Daniel G. Brinton; 1885Category: Books, The Annals of the Cakchiquels
- A, n. A year; the thigh; pron. thy.
- Abah, n. A stone; a jar; the private parts.
- Aca, part. Related, affined. See p. 32.
- Ach. A prefix indicating companionship.
- Achak, n. Excrement, offal, refuse, waste.
- Achcayupil, n. Quilted cotton defensive armor; or perhaps a
two-pointed lance; from ach, united; cay, two; uopih, to wound
with a lance. See p. 18.
- Achii, n. Man (vir).
- Achpe, v. To accompany one.
- Achpetic, n. That which accompanies one.
- Achya, v. To receive (Brasseur); to give with.
- Achyaic, n. That which is given along with something else; yaic,
passive verbal from ya, to give.
- Acoih, v. (For the more usual oçih). To strike or beat,
especially a drum.
- Ah, n. Name of a day. A prefix. Gram. p. 55.
- Ahauh, n. Ruler, chief, lord. See p. 36.
- Ahauarem, n. Majesty, power.
- Ahcic, adv. Up, above, on top.
- Ahilah, v. To count or reckon with grains of corn or cacao, after the
- Ahilan, v. To count, to number.
- Ahlabal, n. Warrior, fighting man. See Labal.
- Aho, v. To wish, to like.
- Ahpop, n. The head chief. “El cacique See p. 36.
- Ahpopamahay, n. An official messenger, especially an official sent
to collect tribute. See p. 36.
- Ah-tzih, n. Speaker, orator. See p. 37.
- n. A scribe.
- Akah, n. A hornet.
- Akan, n. Leg, foot.
- Al, n. Son, child.
- Alabil, n. Slave, servant.
- Alah, v. To bear, to carry; hence, to bring forth, to give birth to,
as a woman a child.
- Alan, v. To ridicule, depreciate.
- Ama, n. Village, tribe, region or district. See p. 33.
- An, part. An emphatic particle, truly, really.
- Aneh, v. To flee, escape.
- Anom, n. A fugitive.
- At, pron. Thou.
- Atiniçah, v. To bathe.
- Avan, n. Crops, plantings.
- Aa, n. Night, darkness.
- Aaxah, v. To hear, to listen to.
- Bak, v. To bore. n. A bone.
- Bala, adv. Where.
- Balam, n. A tiger.
- Balbaxin, adj. Twisted, interlaced, dense.
- Ban, v. 1. To make, to do, or cause to do. 2. To ask. 3. To dress, or
arrange one’s apparel.
- Bay, n. A mole, a ground animal.
- Ba, n. What is spun, as cotton, or drawn into fine threads as
gold. n. A monkey.
- Be, v. To go.
- Belehe, adv. Nine.
- Bey, n. Path, road, route.
- Bi, n. A name; ru bi, his or its name.
- Bijh, v. To speak, to talk.
- Bijn, v. To walk, to go on foot.
- Birbot, v. To make a loud, rumbling noise. Ti birbot, ti nicnot, it
roars and it rumbles, of the volcano (Varea).
- Bitol, n. The creator. See p. 40.
- Bix, n. 1. Songs, chants, poems. 2. Sparks from a fire (p. 17).
- Bok, v. To tear up; to pull down; to sell for another; to translate:
- Bol, v. To make deep trenches in the soil (“as the Indians of the
- Boleh, v. To go in a row, in a series, or in a procession. Applied to
mountains, when one rises upon another (Varea).
- Boz, vn. To issue forth; hence, of flowers, to open, to blow; of a
butterfly, to come forth from the cocoon; of chicks, to come from the
egg; of grains of maize, to burst; of men, to proceed from, to be born;
xeboço, the absolute form.
- Cabih, n. Day after to-morrow.
- Cacouh, n. Cacao.
- Cah, n. The sky, heaven, the atmospheric region.
- Cah, or Cahi, adv. Four.
- Cahlahuh, adv. Fourteen.
- Cahmah, v. To meet a repulse, defeat.
- Cak, adj. Red.
- Cakix, n. A bird. See p. 199.
- Cal, n. That which is united or joined.
- Camel, n. A mortal. Adj. Humble.
- Camiçah, v. To kill, to slay, to destroy.
- Can, adv. Remaining, aforesaid, already. See Gram., p. 65.
- Cana, n. A captive taken in war.
- Canah, v. To remain, to leave; ti canay, neuter, it appears, it is
- Cani, adv. Soon, shortly.
- Canoh, v. To seek, to search for.
- Car, n. Fish, generic name.
- Cauh, n. Ornaments, adornments.
- Cavach, n. Likeness, resemblance.
- Cavuh, Cauh, v. To place anew, to notify, to prepare; to change, to
put on again.
- Cay, adv. Two.
- Ca, n. Cock (Br).
- Cib, n. Smoke, vapor.
- Civan, n. A ravine, barranca.
- Ci, v. To lift up the voice, n. Shoutings.
- Co. A concessive particle. Good! Bravo! Courage! On!
- Col, v. To free, to liberate; to redeem, to save; xoh ru col J. C.
chuvach cruz. Christ redeemed us on the cross.
- Coon, n. For cun, pudenda of a woman (Xim); hence, woman.
- Cot, n. The eagle.
- Cou, n. Something rough and violent.
- Couiricah, v. To strengthen, to invigorate.
- Covil, adj. Bold, courageous.
- Coz, v. To rest.
- Cucu, n. Large vase for water.
- Cuçul, n. Cradle.
- Cuke, v. To seat onesself.
- Cuker, v. To be seated; to be content.
- Cumatz, n. A serpent (gen). An eel.
- Cunum Cachak. See p. 206.
- Cuyuh, n. A species of parrot.
- Ça, v. To expose or show to the sun; to dry. Met.; çao ru vach, to
show one’s face, to recover power.
- Çach, v. To lose, to become lost.
- Çak, adj. White; bright; light. n. A white or clear thing. A
clearing in the forest, cleared land (Varea).
- Çahcab, n. p. 12, for
- Çakcab, n. Literally, white honey; white varnish (Brasseur). Probably
- Çaker, v. To make white, light or clear. To clear a space in the
forest (Varea). See p. 199.
- Çakcorovach, n. The dove or quail.
- Çakquiy, n. The maguey, used in making rope, etc.
- Çaih for Çakih, n. Literally, white days, applied to the spring
of the year. See p. 198.
- Çamahel, n. Messengers.
- Çanay, n. Sand.
- Çaul, n. A plantain; in gen. any kind of vegetable.
- Ça, n. Locusts.
- Çe, v. To row.
- Çel, n. A large painted vase for bathing (jicara pintado,
- Çeteçic, adj. Circular, rounded. See p. 18.
- Çipah, v. To present, to offer.
- Çol, v. for Tzolih, q. v.
- Çol, v. To upheave, to make a revolution.
- Çolo, v. To turn about; to return; to go back.
- Ço, n. A bat.
- Çubak, n. A kind of flute.
- Çutulakin, v. To render homage.
- Çuq, n. A cloud, the clouds.
- Cha, v. To say, to tell, to speak.
- Chacan, v. To cover, enclose; to be within or on.
- Chactit ?, from Cha, something tied or sewed.
- Chăh, n. The pine tree, the ocote pine.
- Chah, n. Ashes, cinders.
- Chapalcivan, n. See p. 197.
- Chahih, v. To guard, to watch; to protect; to keep. Chahal çivan,
the guard of the ravine. See Gram., p. 42.
- Chahir, v. To burn, to reduce to cinders. From chah.
- Chaomal, n. Beauty, fruitfulness.
- Chaomar, v. To yield abundantly.
- Chap, v. To seize, to take, to take possession of.
- Chay, n. A stone. See p. 18.
- Chaabeh, v. To receive with pleasure, to take gladly.
- Chee, n. Wood, stick, tree.
- Chi, n. Mouth; aperture, opening; gate; mouth of a river; coast of the
sea; edge or border.
- Chi. 1. With, by, to, for, against. 2. In order to, that, and 3. While,
- Chic. 1. A verbal particle, denoting past time. 2. Already, more. Before
vi, the c is dropped, as hun chi vi, once more.
- Chicah. Above, upon, upwards.
- Chicohol. Between yourselves.
- Chicop. A brute, an animal as distinguished from man; met.; a brutish
man. See p. 39.
- Chiih (chi ih). Upon, on.
- Chila. There, that way.
- Chin. For, by, by means of, thus.
- Chinak, interrog. Who, which, what?
- Chinamit, n. Town, village. See p. 32.
- Chique. To, for those.
- Chiquichin. To, for those.
- Chiquih. Against those.
- Chire. To, for him, that one.
- Chirih. Behind, against that one; from, out of.
- Chivach. Before yourselves.
- Chive. To, for, against yourselves.
- Cho. To, for, in, until, towards.
- Chocola, adj. In common, communal.
- Cholol, v. To place in order, to arrange.
- Chom, n. A lobster.
- Choy, n. A lake.
- Chucohol, prep. Among, between.
- Chuluc, n. Urine.
- Chun, n. Lime.
- Chunah, v. To whitewash.
- Chupam, prep. Within, in.
- Chuvi, prep. Upon, over, on; chuvi huyu, on or upon the mountain.
- Echa, n. Edible fruits and vegetables. A generic word.
- Elah, v. To humble, to submit to.
- Elebal, n. The place whence something comes forth; as relebal çib,
the exit of the smoke, i. e., the chimney (Varea); hence, relebal
ih, the sunrise.
- Eleah, v. To steal, to rob.
- Eleom, n. A thief, a robber.
- Et, n. A mark, sign. v. To mark, designate.
- Etamah, v. To know, to understand; from et, a mark or sign.
- Ha, pron. He, it, that one; it is so; ha ri, it is thus; ha ok, at
that time, then, when.
- Hab, n. Rain.
- Hach, v. To divide, to separate.
- Hak, v. To open (a door, the mouth, etc).
- Hal, v. To change, to alter. See p. 46.
- Halal, adv. A little, briefly.
- Halebal, n. That by which one changes or transforms himself, a magic
power; an instrumental form from hal, to change one’s garments, etc.
See p. 46.
- Halizin, n. A change, an alteration; a change of raiment; the hair of
the head (Br).
- Hay, n. House, home. See p. 33.
- He, pron. Those, their.
- Hetah, adv. See Tak.
- He, v. To drive or force away.
- Hilil, v. To thunder, to rumble.
- Hique, v. For hique, q. v.
- Hit, v. To promise, make vows; to offer.
- Hiuh, v. To ardently desire, to covet.
- Hi, v. To hang.
} v. To concede, grant.
- Holom, n. The head, a chief.
- Homet, n. Bark of trees.
- Hote, v. To rise, to go up, to mount.
- Hox, n. Branch of a tree.
- Hox, v. To copulate, of men or beasts.
- Hoye, part. Expressing compassion.
Hoye ru vach,
} v. To have compassion, to extend mercy, to spare.
- Hucu, n. A boat, canoe; a large dish.
- Hucumah, adv. Soon, promptly.
- Hul, n. A hole, a pit, a grave, etc.
- Huley, adj. Deep, profound.
- Huluhut or Hulhut, n. Something burning, on fire.
- Hun, adv. One; a or an.
- Hunamah, v. To make equal, to make ready, prepare.
- Hunchic, adv. The other.
- Hutak, adv. See Tak.
- Huiçic, adv. Only, alone, solely.
- Huyu, n. Mountain, hill, mound; a land or country, or place of
residence (nu huyubal, mi pueblo, Varea). The interior as opposed to
the coast. See Taah.
- Ikan, n. A load, a burden, tribute, tax.
- Ikia, n. The right hand. a hand.
- Il, v. a. To reach, to get, to see, to obtain; n. to get to, to
- Il, n. Fault, blame.
- In, pron. I.
- Ixim, n. Maize.
- Ixok, n. A woman.
- Io, v. To pass on or beyond; to exceed, surpass.
- Iovibeh, v. To go on, or beyond.
- Ka, pron. Our.
- Kaçah, v. To put down, to conquer, to destroy.
- Kah, v. To descend, descending. See Gram., 64.
- Kahibal, n. The place of descent; hence, kahibal ih, the sunset.
- Kel, v. To disobey.
- Ki, part. An interrogative; also, denoting affirmation; often used
merely to give strength to an assertion. Gram., p. 71.
- Koch, n. The crow.
- Kul, n. The neck.
- Kup, v. To seize, take by force.
- Kuruh, v. To draw or drag out or on.
- Lab, n. A portent, an augury. See pp. 39, 47.
- Labal, n. An enemy, opponent.
- Labalih, v. To make war, to fight. See p. 47.
- Lehah, v. To fall sick; to grow weak; to be overcome or conquered.
- Lakam, n. The war banner, “bandera de la guerra.”
- Lakeh, v. To bring, to carry, to give.
- Lam, n. The hard part; trunk of a tree, etc.
- Lamaba. To detain one, to prevent him from going.
- Laabeh, v. To enter into a place, to dwell there; to occupy as a
residence (entrar á morar en casa. Varea).
- Laeh, v. To join or unite two things; especially to unite in the
- Lob, n. Magical power.
- Lol, n. The silence or state of desertion left by a pestilence, etc.
See p. 38.
- Lo, v. To prize, to hold dear, to esteem.
- Macamo, v. To take alarm, to be frightened, to wonder at.
- Maha, adv. Even not, not yet.
- Mahanick, adv. Before that, previous to.
- Malohic, n. A preparation of maize (?).
- Mam, n. Grandchild.
- Mama, n. An old man; pl. mamaa, the old men; nu mama, my
ancestors; also the rulers of a village; applied to animals it means the
male of the species.
- Mani, adv. No, not.
- May, v. A cycle, especially of 20 years. May ih, a calendar for
calculating cycles. See p. 31.
- Meal, n. A daughter.
- Meba, adj. Poor.
- Meh, n. A gable in a roof; an angle; a fold in clothing, etc.
- Meho, v. To make an angle or fold; hence, to go to a place and return
- Mem, n. A dumb man; to be dumb.
- Mez, n. A cat. See p. 44.
- Meztah, v. To forget.
- Meen, adj. Warm, hot.
- Mi, adv. Particle, denoting recent past time, prefixed to form the
proximate preterit tense.
- Mier, adv. Already, previously.
- Mih, v. To tear up, to tear out or down.
- Mihoh, v. To lie to, to deceive; to ridicule, to laugh at, to mock.
- Mol, v. To gather together scattered things, to fill up, to collect.
- Moyeuh, n. A fog, the mist.
- Muh, n. Shade, shadow; hence, fig. protection, guardianship. See p.
- Muk, v. To hide, to conceal; to bury.
- Mun, adj. Hungry, n. A slave. See p. 39.
- Na, adv. A particle denoting priority, from nabey, first; hence,
navipe, and, also, next, until, presently. See Gram., p. 65.
- Na, v. To know, to learn.
- Nabey, adv. First.
- Nabeyah, v. To be first.
- Naek, adv. Although, but.
- Nano, v. To receive more than another.
- Nanoh, adj. Known, said; hence, xa nanoh, already known, aforesaid,
etc. From na, to know.
- Naval, n. Knowledge, wisdom; especially occult knowledge, magic,
sorcery. See p. 46.
- Nicnic, v. To quiver, to tremble.
- Nima, adj. Great, n. A great thing.
- Nimah, v. To make great, to adore.
- Nimal, n. The elder brother; the head of a home.
- Niah, n. The middle, the center.
- Niahal, n. The middle parts of anything; the sexual parts,
- Nu, pron. My, mine.
- Oc, v. To enter.
- Ochoch, n. House. See p. 33.
- Ocox, n. Fungus, of the edible variety.
- Oh, pron. We.
- Oh, adv. Sign of the imperative. Oh a ama pe lae queh, Bring that
- Ohb, n. A cough.
- Oher, adv. Formerly, in ancient times.
- Ok, adv. When; also the imperative particle.
- Okok, n. Wild goose.
- Oqueçah, v. To put something in something; hence, to put on one’s
clothes, to dress onesself. From oc, to enter. Met. to obey.
- Oro, v. To bore, to pierce, to hollow out.
- Oxlahuh, adv. Thirteen.
- Oyevar, v. To become angry.
- Oyobeh, v. To hope.
- O, v. To weep, to cry.
- Oeh, n. A wail, a weeping. v. To bewail.
- Pa, prep. In, to; tan qui be pa huyu, I am going to the
pa hay, in the house. Before a vowel, pan is used.
- Pac or Pacay. The anona, the custard apple.
- Pacac, v. To dawn.
- Pae, v. To be on foot, to stand, to be at.
- Palah, v. To annoy, to bother.
- Palouh, n. The ocean, the sea; called also nima ya, the great water.
See p. 195.
- Patan, v. Tribute, tax. See p. 39.
- Pax, v. To break; to put to flight, to scatter.
- Paz, n. Swathing bands; folding robes.
- Pe, v. To come. Often used in a peculiar gerundive sense, as a verbal
particle. See Gram., p. 64.
- Pek, n. The fruit tree called Pataxte (Guzman).
- Pixa, n. Order, command, direction.
- Pixabah, v. To order, to command.
- Po, v. 1. To cry out loudly. 2. To be angry with some one.
- Pocob, n. A shield. See p. 18.
- Poklah, n. Dust.
- Pokon, n. Trouble, pain.
- Pop, n. A mat; popoh, a council. See p. 36.
- Poroh, v. To burn, to set on fire.
- Poye, v. side, to neglect.
- Poh, v. To divide, to split.
- Puak or Puvak, n. Silver; money, coin. See p. 19.
- Pub, n. The blow-gun, p. 18.
- Puz, n. Power, magic. See p. 46.
- Pu, v. To break up ground; to soak in water; to dissolve or to make
into dust. Hence, n. fire, dust.
- Que, pron. They, used with absolute, passive and neuter verbs.
Gram., p. 47.
- Queh, n. A deer.
- Quere, adv. Thus, as, even so; querea, therefore; querera, as
this; querelae, as that.
- Qui, pron. Those, their.
- Quichin, pron. Of them.
- Quicot, v. To rejoice, to delight in.
- Quir, v. To unloose, untie.
- Qui, n. Blood.
- Rah, v. To wish, tivaho, I wish; (absolute) xraho, he wished.
- Ramon, n. A piece, a bit.
- Ramoneh, v. To reduce to pieces, to overcome.
- Rax, adj. Green, blue; precious, noble; renowned, famous.
- Raxah, n. A tree, a species of plantain.
- Ri, pron. He, it; this, that; often used in the sense of
definite article, ri huyu, the hill.
- Richin, pron. Of that one, of him, his, its.
- Ruma, prep. By, for, with.
- Tacaxepeval, n. Name of the first month of the native calendar.
- v. To send, to call one, to despatch to one. Gram., p.
- Tahin, part. Of present time.
- Tak, adv. A particle conveying the idea of recurrence or repetition,
as hetak, hutak, p. 12. See Gram., p. 72.
- Takchibal, n. That which incites, or persuades. An instrumental form
- Takchiih, v. To incite, move, induce.
- Takeh, v. To obey.
- Tan, adv. Now, at present; particle of present time.
- Tap, n. Crab.
- Tata, n. Father. Originally the reduplication of the particle of
courtesy, ta, which is now used by and to married people. It also
means lord, ruler. Cf. Gram., p. 72.
- Taah, n. A plain; the sea coast as opposed to the interior. See
- Tah, n.
- Tecpan, n. See p. 13.
- Tee, n. Mother. See p. 35.
- Telep, v. To carry on the shoulders.
- Telechuh, v. To wrestle; to take captive; to tie with cords.
- Tem, n. A bench or seat. See p. 20.
- Tepeval, n. Sovereignty, power.
- Teuh, adj. Cold.
- Ti, v. To eat, to bite.
- Ti, pron. He, it, she; you.
- Tih, v. To give to eat, to feed; to invite; to try, to test; to teach,
- Tih, n. The doctrine, the teaching.
- Tihoh, v. To teach another.
- Tinamit, n. Town, city.
- Tiohil, n. The body, the bulk of an animal.
- Tiquer, v. To begin, to commence.
- Titil, n. A color. See p. 204.
- Tiuh tiuh, n. See p. 196.
- Tixli, n. The tapir.
- Tiuil, v. To be rooted in the ground. See uil.
- To, v. To aid, to succor.
- Tohoh, v. To make a loud noise, to thunder. See p. 199.
- Tol, v. To abandon.
- Toloba, v. To desert, abandon, forsake.
- Tooh, n. Weapons, of all kinds.
- To, v. To shoot up, to burst forth.
- To, v. To push in, to insert.
- Toe, v. To arrive at a place.
- Tuc, v. To turn, revolve, move about.
- Tucur, n. The owl.
- Tulul, n. The zapote tree.
- Tun, n. A native drum; a branch, a sprout, a twig.
- Tunay, n. The elder tree. Span. sauco.
- Tux, n. A kind of acorn.
- Ucheex, v. To relate, to tell, to say, especially in reporting what
others have said. As a rule it follows the words quoted (Coto).
- Ue, conj. If.
- Ul, v. To arrive, to come to.
- Ulaah, v. To arrive at, as a home; to seek as a refuge (Bras.).
- Ulaam, v. To have at one’s house, as a guest, etc.
- Uleuh, n. Earth, soil, land, ground.
- Umul, n. The rabbit.
- Unum, n. The male organ; a worm, a snake.
- Ut, n. Dove.
- Utiuh, n. The coyote.
- Utzin, v. To finish, to complete.
- Ux, v. To be, to become. See Gram., p. 33.
- Uxla, n. The breath; an odor; steam.
- Uxlan, v. To rest, to repose, to take breath (from uxla).
- Va, part. Here, now.
- Va, v. To eat.
- Vach, n. Face, visage, front; surface, superficies; brightness,
splendor; fruit, products, profits; power, dignity.
- Vachih, v. To see with one’s own eyes; to have before one’s face.
- Vae, part. This, this is, here is.
- Vapal, n. The lintel of a door, the frame of a window, etc.
- Var, v. To sleep.
- Vave, adv. Here.
- Vay, n. Bread, of any kind.
- Vayhal, n. Hunger.
- Vi, n. The head.
- Vi, part. A correlative and instrumental particle. See Gram., p. 63.
- Vik, v. To increase or add something; to ornament, to adorn; to
arrange, to set in order by adding to.
- Vinak, n. Man, the human species; a people.
- Vinak chij, n. Injury or misfortune; a legal term applied to certain
- Vuk, adj. Seven.
- Xa, part. But, only, etc. An antithetical particle, used in many
connections, as xae, xa a, xa ri a, va xe re, xa a,
xe re, xa ha, all signify but, next, etc.
- Xah, v. To move actively and cheerfully; hence, to dance; of a dog, to
wag his tail.
- Xahab, n. Sandals, shoes, moccasins.
- Xahan, n. Prohibition, abstention.
- Xahaneh, v. To abstain from, to refrain.
- Xahpota hih, n. Body armor. (“Malla ô peto.” Varea).
- Xak, n. 1. Leaf. 2. Dye, color, tint. See p. 204.
- Xambey, n. One who follows another.
- Xambeyah, v. To do something later than another, to follow, to come
- Xane, v. To strip, to uncover.
- Xaquere, adv. But thus; see Xa.
- Xavia. See
- Xax. Particle of affirmation, an intensive.
- Xhayil, n. A married woman, a wife. From hay, with the fem.
prefix—“the woman of the house.”
- Xim, v. To tie, to bind onesself; to assume.
- Xiquin, n. Ears.
- Xit, n. The jade, the green stone (piedra verde como torquesa.
- Xivae, n. A conch shell used as a horn.
- Xmier, adv. Already, formerly; xmierok, before, previously.
- Xocon, n. The left hand; chu xocon, on the left.
- Xoh, pron. We.
- Xo, Xooh, v. To complain against one.
- Xoh, n. The owl; a malicious person.
- Xul, n. A flute.
- Xule, v. To descend, to go down.
- Xu, n. A net used by the Indians of the Sierra to catch birds.
- Xul, n. A kind of dance. See p. 45.
- Ya, v. To give, to present.
- Yaar, v. To spoil, waste, go to ruin.
- Yac, n. To build a house; to contract for, ask for.
- Yala, v. To surpass, become distinguished.
- Yaloh, v. To delay, to remain.
- Yamalakin, v. To give presents.
- Yamanic, n. Precious stone.
- Yanabil, n. Sickness, disease.
- Ybah, n. The ancient site of a town; the hereditary home; the cement
of a house. From ybil, to ripen, to mature.
- Ye, v. To tread under foot, to detest, to hate.
- Ylon, v. To overtake one (alcanzar á otro que va adelante. Varea).
- Yncheel, adv. How, in what manner.
- Ynup, n. The ceiba tree.
- Yoh, v. To destroy, tear down.
- Yon, adv. Only, alone; ruyon, he or it alone or only. See Gram.,
- Yo, v. To knead dough. Met. to bruise.
- Yuh, v. To mix, to mingle.
- Yuhuh, n. A quarrel, a revolt.
- Yuk, v. To string out, to stretch out, like a rope. Hence
- Yuku, n. A rope or cord. Varea.
- Yuyub, n. Shouts.
- Yx, pron. You.
- Yxim, n. Maize (the grains).
- Yo, v. To pass over; to go from one place to another.
- a, n. The hand, the arm.
- aba, v. To place supports; to strengthen; to extend the hands.
- ahan, v. To sound, to resound; to snore, etc.
- ahar, v. To expend, to expand.
- ahartizah, v. To praise, to commend.
- alaba, v. To cause misfortune, to make miserable.
- alah, adj. n. Something clear, apparent, manifest.
- alel. See p. 37.
- alibal, n. Seat, see, throne. del señor principal.”
Coto. See p. 20.
- am, n. Bridge, stairs.
- n. A color. See p. 204.
- an, adj. Yellow; ripe; rich.
- arama, n. Nation, confederation.
- at, v. To cut, in general; hence, to decide a question; to ford a
river; to die early, etc.
- avonon, n. A yellow bug; from an, yellow, and Vonon, bug.
- ax, v. 1. To pass, to pass over. 2. To bring forth, to give birth
- a, n. Fire.
- aal, n. Distinction, greatness.
- ek, adj. Black; dark.
- ekal, n. Blackness, darkness.
- ekum, n. The darkness of the night.
- ih, n. The sun; a day; a time or epoch; an occasion or opportunity;
the sign or constellation under which one is born; hence, fate or
fortune. Ahih, the diviner; cholol ih, to cast the horoscope.
- ihib, v. To divine, to predict, to tell fortunes.
- il, v. To prevent, impede, harass.
- inom, adj. Rich. n. riches.
- iomah, n. This appears to be a form of inomah, riches.
- ip, v. To take up in the fingers; to pinch.
- o, v. To sustain, to maintain, to give to eat.
- ol, n. Resin from the pine.
- op, n. Ear rings.
- uzum, n. Delicacy, something delicious to eat.
- u, n. A species of bird. See p. 204.
- uuraxon, n. Green feathers; the plumage of certain birds.
- a, conj. And, also.
- abovil, n. The deity, God, divinity.
- açe, v. To survive, to grow strong.
- ahol, n. A son, sons; also, generally, descendants of a common
- aholah, v. To beget, engender.
- ak, v. To shoot with arrows; to stone. 2. To place onesself in
front of another.
- akaba, v. To show onesself.
- al, v. To tie together, to arrange in order as by tying.
- alakan, n. Small bells tied together. See p. 17.
- am, v. To take, to bear away; especially to take a woman in
marriage, to marry.
- anixt, n. A bird. See p. 197.
- arunah, adv. The same, again.
- axto, n. The Evil Spirit.
- ay, adj. Pungent, bitter, strong of smell or taste.
- ayh, v. To sell.
- aalih, v. To guard.
- eche, n. A forest, a woods.
- el, n. A small species of parrot.
- exevach, n. Substitute, one who stands for another (Anon).
- adv. That which exceeds; used in comparison. See Gram.,
- iy, adv. Much, many.
- iyar, v. To multiply, to increase.
- iz, v. To finish, to conclude, to end.
- oh, v. To be in a place, etc. Spanish, estar. See Gram., p. 33.
- ok, okoh, v. To complain (quejarse á Dios. Varea, p. 414).
- ol, v. To cut down, to send out from, to diminish, to lessen.
- ot, v. To dig a hole. Met. to examine verbally, to interrogate,
- otoh, v. 1. To engrave, to sculpture. otonic, that which is
sculptured. 2. To set in order, to arrange battalions, etc.
- okikan, n. Loads of roasted maize, used as food on long journeys;
from o, “mais cocido,” and kikan.
- ox, v. To clash; to strike hard things together, ta oxel
to strike fire with the flint (Varea).
- oxol, n. He who dashes together hard things, as stones. See
- oxom, n. That which is dashed together, as stones. See ox.
- oxtun, n. Fortress, stronghold.
- u, v. To put well in order, to arrange.
- ual, n. Diamond, or other precious stone.
- ubul, n. Garlands (Br.). From u, to arrange in order, to put
- uil, v. To throw down to the ground, to lie or roll upon the
ground; to annoy, harass.
- ul, n. All kinds of clothing; vesture, etc.
- ul, v. To receive; to meet, to go out to meet one; to visit one; to
converse, to reply to, to be beaten.
- ule, v. To marry.
- ulvachih, v. To meet face to face. From ul, to receive, to
meet, and vach, face.
- ut, v. To show, to make manifest.
- utuh, v. To ask, to inquire.
- ux, n. The heart; the mind.
- ha, n. The bow; the arrow.
} v. To speak to talk, to say.
- habak, n. Mud.
- hac, n. A pestilence.
- hac, v. To conquer, to overpower.
- hac, n. Flesh, meat.
- hacatah, v. To sit down, to rest seated; to reduce in value, to
- n. A victory, a conquest.
- hacat, n. A seat, a throne. See p. 20.
- haka, prep. From the other side; haka palouh, from beyond the
sea; he ah haka ya, those from the other side of the water, a term
applied to the Spaniards (Varea).
- hakap, n. and adv. The half, partly.
- hamey, n. Cane, staff; a badge of office; ahhamey, the
alguacil or constable.
- haoh, n. See p. 55.
- hay, v. To injure, destroy. 2. To fasten, solder.
- hi, v. To disquiet, to be noisy.
- hih, v. To suffer, to bear.
- hipil, n. The youngest son.
- hique, v. To appoint, to resolve upon.
- hih, n. Iron, copper. See p. 19.
- hob, n. Division, class, order, battalion.
- hocoba, v. To seat a person.
- hol, v. To skin, to bark, to clean; to acquit, to rid of.
- holih, v. To value, to put a value upon; hence, holih ih,
to value days, to decide which are lucky and which unlucky; hol
ih, an astrological calendar. See p. 31.
- hub, v. To ravage, as a pestilence.
- huc, n. The arm, or arms.
- hutin, adj. Small, little, young.
- ak, v. To work in clay; to make bricks or tiles; to make, to
create. 2. To joke; to make fun. 3. To lie, to deceive.
- akol, n. The maker, the creator.
- alam. See p. 32.
- anin, v. To sound loudly, to make a great noise, of people,
trumpets, dancing, etc.
- apal, n. An enclosure; that which is shut up or enclosed; from
ape, neuter of tin apih, shut up or enclose.
- apibal, n. The place where something is enclosed or shut up. See
apal, and p. 197.
- i, n. A dog.
- ibah, v. To paint; to write. See p. 16.
- ima, n. A sharp-pointed tool; v. to dig with one (Ximenes).
- iquin, n. A bird, the generic word.
- iz, v. To sew, to puncture.
- iot, v. To hiss (of a snake), to squeak (of a rat), to whistle
(of a bird), etc.
- um. 1. The breasts, the mammae. 2. A skin, a hide.
- umah, v. To suck, to take the breast; to reduce a swelling; to
lessen, to diminish.
- utuh, n. A flower, especially of the maize.
- Tzak, v. To throw, to fall; to tangle, to trip; to hinder; to go from
the road; to drop a subject, a lawsuit, etc.; to pardon; to excuse
onesself; to cease, to die.
- Tzal, v. To make war, to give battle.
- Tzam, n. 1. Nose, beak, snout, of man, bird or brute. 2. The point or
end of anything.
- Tzap, n. Fault, evil, misdemeanor. See p. 28.
- Tzara, n. A snare to take birds, etc.
- Tzayh, v. To do an injury without cause.
- Tzatz, adv. Much, many, thickly, densely.
- Tzih, n. A word, a speech.
- Tzihoxic, n. That which has been said; a passive verbal from tzih.
- Tzimay, n. A cup, or drinking vessel.
- Tzolih, v. To turn; to return; to turn one’s thoughts upon, etc.
- Tzuy, n. A large calabash or gourd.
- Tzuk, v. To sustain, to maintain.
- Tzul, v. To intertwine, to embrace, to sleep together.
« The annals of the cakchiquels. Index of Proper Names, 229. by Daniel G. Brinton; 1885 ||| The annals of the cakchiquels. Notes, 195-200. by Daniel G. Brinton; 1885 »